Watched storm after storm come across the lake, was utterly AMAZED by the amount of lightning that was going on. I quit counting after 100-or so. I didn't get any sleep that night. Usually I just toss out a pad and sleep under the stars, a tent is only a last resort.
I couldn't get any sleep because of all the lighting that was going on, some of it was VERY close. I wasn't the highest object and never felt that static-y feeling on the back of my neck, so I didn't feel like I was in danger. But, the lighting was impressive and just as soon as I would fall asleep I would be woken back up by another round.
About 2am it started to rain, pretty heavy really, so I hunkered down in the truck until it quit. Got back out and crawled back in the bag.
About 4am (I'm guessing...), I woke up staring at a bazillion bright stars and a crystal clear sky. Most notably it was deathly quiet. Very weird considering how hard it was to sleep.
While I was waiting for myself to get tired, I did manage to make some images. The first is just of a random lightning strike, the second is a cloud above Ogden being lit up from the inside by lightning. The streak in the foreground is the train going across the causeway heading east.
The next morning I headed off to the west, drove along the western shore of the lake and saw some thick dark clouds to the north that were obscuring some billowy white ones. I thought it was a fire and so I headed up to see if I could photograph it for the project.
The closer I got, the more I could see that it was way north of the lake, but I wanted to check it out anyway. It's a huge fire complex of about 10 smaller fires burning on the Utah/Idaho state line just northwest of Snowville.
Got some nice images of the smoke, got a drink at the Flyin' J, and headed back toward the lake to photograph birds.


4 comments:
Nice work. I'm really starting to dig night photography. I would have loved to have been there. I dig lightning. I would think it would be worth the lost sleep to experience. Of course it is easy for me to say, I wasn't there.
*yawn*
I took a nap around 11-ish after having a late brunch. Problem with staying up all night watching/listening to the lightning, was that I was uber-un-motivated to get up and photograph early in the morning. :(
Was quite a sight though.
That first and last image are pretty dang sweet. I need to come down for a GSL tour.
sweet cloud photo
Post a Comment